A quick Friday post announcing the latest book from Packt Publishing, Troubleshooting vSphere Storage by VMware vExpert Mike Preston (blog / twitter). I am happy to say that not only is Mike a friend of mine, but I was allowed the opportunity to be a technical reviewer of the great content Mike has put together. The book covers a lot of detail in an a quick and easy consumable manner and covers a lot of ground in its 100 or so pages.
Here is an overview of the items covered in the book:
- Understand where to look when storage is suddenly not available
- Use esxtop to monitor and discover pain points in your infrastructure
- Diagnose and resolve SCSI reservations and queuing issues
- Design storage properly based on workloads
- Monitor and alert on your thinly provisioned disks and data store capacity
- Utilize Storage DRS to proactively balance your capacity and workload on your data stores
- Maintain compliance in terms of placement with Profile Driven Storage
- Grant VMs the performance they need with Storage I/O Control
- Decipher storage-related error entries in the vSphere logfiles
The book is scheduled to be released this month both in book and eBook formats so be sure to check it out!