With the start of a new year comes the aspiration of new goals and achievements. The great folks over a Veeam Software (and proud sponsor of VirtualLanger.com) have gathered a collection of free resources to help get you started! If you are looking for a better understanding of Microsoft Hyper 2012 or the latest release from VMware, vSphere 5.5, Veeam has got you covered. If VMware certifications are in your near future have a look at the VCP5-DCV and VCAP5-DCA guides compiled by Josh Coen (blog / Twitter) and yours truly . And of course, learn how to take advantage of the latest release of Veeam’s Backup and Replication product to protect your virtual machines and your mission critical SQL Server workloads.
Have a great start to the new year!
Hands-on Guide: Understanding Hyper-V in Windows Server 2012
By Brien Posey, with additional chapters from Pete Zerger and Chris Henley (white paper, 391 pages)
The Hands-on Guide is an essential and practical step-by-step guide for IT pros interested in server virtualization technology based on Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V. Written to help readers get the most from their virtual environment, topics include:
- How to install and deploy Windows Server 2012 and Hyper-V 3.0
- How to manage Hyper-V and virtual machines
- How to configure Hyper-V clustering, VM migrations and failover rules and Hyper-V replication, plus and much more
VMware vSphere 5.5 & Windows Server 2012 R2: What’s NEW with Veeam?
By Jose Mendoza and Shawn Lieu (video, duration 1:16:54)
Watch this training video led by two Veeam experts and learn what’s new in VMware vSphere 5.5 and Windows Server 2012 R2, Understand how Veeam Backup & Replication v7 R2 takes advantage of the most recent hypervisor innovations.
Free VCP5-DCV and VCAP5-DCA Study Guides
By Jason Langer and Josh Coen (white papers, 136 and 248 pages, accordingly)
These unofficial VMware certification self-study guides will help you prepare for the following exams:
- VMware Certified Professional 5 – Data Center Virtualization (VCP5-DCV)
- VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA)
After passing the VCP5-DCV and VCAP5-DCA exams, you’ll be certified and get more recognition for your VMware knowledge and practical skills.
Advanced VM SQL Server Backup & Recovery
By Rick Vanover (video, duration 51:42)
The virtualization SQL server has always been a complicated topic because it handles such a critical workload. VMware vExpert Rick Vanover discusses:
- When it’s better to virtualize the SQL server
- How to correctly backup and restore the virtualized SQL server
- Which SQL server restore situations are addressed by Veeam
Watch this 1-hour video here for deeper insight into SQL server virtualization, backup and restore
A survey of 500 enterprises and 500 SMB companies across the USA, the UK, Germany and France
This report helps track the progress of data-protection strategies for virtual environments in SMB- and enterprise-level organizations. The survey was conducted among 1,000 CIOs or IT heads by an independent market-research organization, and participants came from different sectors and industries.
Key findings in 2013:
- 85% of SMBs were experiencing backup and recovery cost-related challenges, 83% were experiencing capability-related challenges and 80% were experiencing complexity-related challenges
- Almost a third of SMBs’ virtual infrastructures were unprotected
- 68% of enterprises felt that their backup and recovery tools would eventually become less effective as the amount of data and servers in their organizations continues to increase.
Veeam Backup & Replication v7: A VMware Architect’s Favorite Features
By Joep Piscaer (white paper, 28 pages)
Version 7 of Veeam Backup & Replication includes 50+ enhancements and updates. Two innovations include backups from Storage snapshots and built-in WAN acceleration, which help Veeam users to significantly improve RPOs and remove obstacles to offsite backup. In this technical deep-dive, VMware vExpert Joep Piscaer discusses:
- 2 innovations: Backups from storage snapshots and built-in WAN acceleration
- 7 new features: Native tape support, virtual labs for replicas, vSphere Web Client plug-in and more
- 50+ other updates